How To Blend Spices
- “Roast, Mill, Cook!” Recipe Book
- Easy Chicken Curry
- Oriental Fried Rice
- Sri Lankan Beef Curry
- Organic Artisanal Tandoori Chicken Masala
- Spicy BBQ Poultry Marinade
- Classic Garam Masala Spices - Mixed Vegetable Curry
- Fresh Chai
- Shepherd's Pie
- Dahl / Lentil Curry (GF)
- Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
- Aromatic Yellow Rice (GF)
- Kashmiri Garam Masala
- Tandoori Chicken
Ceylon Roast Blend
Born in Sri Lanka, The Spicy Gourmet has a particular fondness for this smoky blend, which makes dazzling use of the island’s incredible bounty of world-class spices.
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 1-inch-long stick Ceylon cinnamon, broken into pieces
1 pinch Ceylon cloves (about 4 or 5)
10 Ceylon cardamom pods
1/4 teaspoon Ceylon curry leaf
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- In a dry skillet over low heat, roast coriander seeds until brown and fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
- Repeat roasting process with cumin seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds in separate batches, transferring roasted spices to same bowl and allowing to cool.
- Transfer roasted spices, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon and curry leaf to mill. Blend to fine powder. Return milled spices to small bowl. Add cayenne; stir to blend. (See milling instructions.)
- Transfer Ceylon Roast Blend to airtight container and store indefinitely in cool, dark, dry place.
Ceylon Beef Curry
Made with Ceylon Roast Blend
This traditional dish is simple but so good. Coconut oil adds an authentic island accent to the succulent, slow-cooked curry.
Serving Suggestions: This slow-cooked dish is great with lemon-flavored saffron rice and coconut chutney.
SERVES 4 TO 6
3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
2 large brown onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Ceylon Roast Blend
1/2 teaspoon Ceylon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 pounds beef (or lamb or pork) cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook until golden brown.
Reduce heat, add Ceylon Roast Blend, turmeric, salt and vinegar and cook, stirring, until ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.
- Add beef and stir until well coated.
- Increase heat and add tomatoes. When mixture boils, reduce heat to low. Cover pan and simmer until meat is tender, about two hours.