Classic Garam Masala Spices - Mixed Vegetable Curry
Posted by Dinesh Perera on October 23, 2012 (0 Comments)
One of the most popular and well known spice blends, the Classic Garam Masala is generally a combination of 4 to 6 spices. I've taken the most commonly used and created a spice gift set for your enjoyment. As an introduction to using the masala, I'm also providing a very simple recipe for a Mixed Vegetable Curry.
Classic Garam Masala Recipe
- 1 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cloves
- 3 to 5 cardamom pods
- 1-inch-long Ceylon cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- pinch Ceylon cloves (about 4 or 5)
In a dry skillet over low to medium heat, roast all the spices except the cumin seed. For best results, stir the seeds frequently through the whole process. After about a minute, when the spices begin to smell fragrant, add the cumin, turn the heat low and continue roasting for an additional 1 minute or so. Transfer to small bowl and let cool completely.
Although the purist or ideal way to prepare this blend is to roast the spices individually, you may dry roast all the spices at once, being careful not to burn the smaller seeds, such as the cumin.
Transfer roasted spices to the spice mill and grind to a fine powder. You may need to do this in batches. (See milling instructions.)
Once the spices are milled, transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dark cabinet. This will insure the blend stays fresh for a longer period of time.
Mixed Vegetable Curry:
- 21/2 tablespoons of ghee or oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced - 1/4 thick
- 1 medium onion cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 pound cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 teaspoons Classic Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 7 to 10 ounces of fresh or frozen okra
- 8 to 10 green beans cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup creamy yogurt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Chopped cilantro or mint
Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan and brown the potato, carrots and onions for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cauliflower an cook for an additional 2 minutes. Sprinkle the spices over the vegetables, add the beans, okra, ginger and garlic and stir well. Add the yogurt, water and salt, stir well, cover and cook for ten to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Please be sure to not overcook the vegetables. Add the chopped cilantro or mint, adjust for salt, stir gently and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with additional mint or cilantro.
This curry is an ideal accompaniment to Aromatic Yellow Rice.
Comments (0 Comments)