Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
Posted by Dinesh Perera on December 08, 2011 (7 Comments)
Video - Part 1
Video - Part 2
A very popular dish in Sri Lanka and loved by those who have had the pleasure of having enjoyed its many versions!
This curry is an ideal accompaniment to Aromatic Yellow Rice.
There are three stages to making this recipe. First, we need to prepare the Ceylon Roast, the roasted curry powder that is a staple spice blend used in Sri Lanka to prepare meat recipes.
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 1-inch-long stick Ceylon cinnamon, broken into pieces
1 pinch Ceylon cloves (about 4 or 5)
10 Ceylon cardamom pods
1/4 teaspoon Ceylon curry leaf
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- In a dry skillet over low heat, roast coriander seeds until brown and fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
- Repeat roasting process with cumin seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds in separate batches, transferring roasted spices to same bowl and allowing to cool.
Although the purist or ideal way to prepare this blend is to roast the spices individually, you may dry roast all the spices at once, being careful not to burn the smaller seeds, such as the cumin.
- Transfer roasted spices, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon and curry leaf to mill. Blend to fine powder. Return milled spices to small bowl. Add cayenne; stir to blend. (See milling instructions.)
- Transfer Ceylon Roast Blend to airtight container and store indefinitely in cool, dark, dry place.
Next, the chicken is jointed. We normally use the entire chicken, including the back.
Chicken Curry Recipe:
- 3-3 1/2 lb. Free Range Chicken
- 2 -3 Tablespoons Ceylon Roast Blend
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee or canola oil
- 4 to 5 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed
- 3 inch piece ceylon cinnamon
- 1 sprig curry leaves or 1 teaspoon powder
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 6 cardamom pods bruised
- 2 teaspoons lemon grass
- 1/2 to 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 lime
In a glass or stainless steel bowl combine the chicken, Ceylon roast, vinegar and all the remaining spices except cinnamon, fenugreek seed and lemon grass. Mix well and refrigerate 2 to 24 hrs.
Sauté the onion, ginger, fenugreek, garlic, lemon grass, cinnamon and curry leaves in oil over medium heat for a few minutes until the onions turn slightly golden. Add the chicken and coat well over medium heat.
Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook uncovered 30 to 40 minutes over low to medium heat until the chicken is done. Add lime juice and adjust with salt if necessary. You may garnish cilantro and serve it up!